It is common to hear some creaks and pops from your furnace system when it first kicks on. However, if you are hearing some new mysterious noises from your HVAC system it may be time to contact a technician.
Pro HVAC Service can help you locate up to four local contractors in your area that can come to your home or business and service your system.
If you aren’t quite ready to contact a professional, there are some common troubleshooting solutions you can try.
My Furnace Is Hissing and Humming
If your furnace sounds like it is humming a tune to your favorite song it may be time to do something about it. A humming sound coming from your furnace could mean that it is working extra hard to produce heat. This type of noise could lead to system failure or a high electricity bill.
If the system is making a hissing noise, it means there is probably a leak somewhere in the system or in your ductwork. A hissing noise can potentially lead to the same problems as a humming noise.
It is best to have a technician come and look at your system if you are experiencing these noises. Hiring a professional who is trained to work with HVAC systems and to look for these kind of leaks or noises will decrease the time you spend looking for the problem exponentially.
My Furnace Is Making a Squealing or Whining Noise
There are a few reasons your furnace could be making a high-pitched squealing noise, these include:
- Loose, Slipping, or Fraying Blower Belt
- Should be adjusted by technician or replaced if fraying
- Shaft Bearings Needing Oil
- A technician needs to apply lightweight oil to the lubrication port at each end of the shaft
- Malfunctioning Blower Motor
- Needs to be fixed or replaced
A squealing or whining noise is typically one of the easiest fixes when it comes to HVAC repair. However, it is still best to get the problem fixed before it becomes a serious issue.
An annual furnace maintenance visit can prevent belts from getting loose or certain parts from being under-lubricated.
My Furnace Makes a Loud Bang or Pop When the Furnace Turns On
There are two common reasons for the loud banging or popping coming from your furnace:
Dirty Furnace Burners
- The dirt on the furnace burners delay the burners from igniting, causing an excess of gas to build up. So when the gas does finally ignite, you’ll hear a loud bang. You should never ignore this noise because these small explosions could crack the heat exchanger, which is an expensive repair. Regular furnace maintenance can help prevent this issue before the heating season even starts.
Expanding and Contracting Air Ducts
- This is a common noise for homeowners with metal ducts. The ducts expand and contract as the blower turns off and on. This could be a sign of undersized ducts, closed vents, flimsy ducts, or a clogged air filter.
If you think the noises you are hearing may be caused by one of these problems, it is best to call a technician to come look at your system. A Pro HVAC Service professional is able to quickly identify and fix any issue that you have.
My Furnace is Making a Loud Scraping Sound
If you are hearing loud metal-on-metal or sounds similar to nails scratching a chalkboard, it means there is probably something wrong with the furnace’s blower wheel. If you hear this noise it is recommended to turn your system off immediately and call a professional for help.
There are three problems with the blower wheel that could be causing this problem:
- The blower wheel came loose from the motor shaft and is now hitting the blower casing. If the wheel or shaft isn’t too broken a professional can easily tighten the wheel.
- The blower wheel is broken and needs to be replaced by a professional
- The motor mount broke, causing the whole blower assembly to drop and hit the housing.
A metal-on-metal sound coming from your furnace usually requires a service call from a professional. They can help you locate the problem and repair the system successfully.
The Importance of Regularly Scheduled HVAC Maintenance
Your HVAC system is an investment. It needs to be oiled and taken care of just like your car. In order to keep it running effectively it needs some TLC from time to time.
Regularly scheduled maintenance for your HVAC system could prevent some of these simple problems from becoming much bigger, costly problems.
It is recommended to have your furnace looked at by a professional every fall. This way your system will be running smoothly in the winter months when you need it the most. This gives the technician a chance to look for and fix any potential problems and oil up the machine to keep it in good working order.
Get a Free Quote on a HVAC System Service Call
If you are experiencing abnormal noises from your HVAC system it is best to get it looked at by a professional. Pro HVAC Service specializes in finding local contractors in your area and providing you with the best prices in your area.
If you would like your FREE quote, give us a call at (844) 769-5995, or fill out the form to the right. Within minutes of receiving your information one of our specialists will contact you with free quotes from local service providers.